Some of the best recipes on the earth are the recipes that are past down from generation to generation. Today, I am sharing with you a recipe that belonged to my father’s grandmother, BB. (I wish I had a digital picture to share with you but I don’t.)
It is one of those SPECIAL recipes that our family makes pretty much only at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is also one of those recipes that when you make it and it turns out it is AMAZING and it makes you feel like a master baker! As long as you follow these instructions you too can make the BEST Yeast Rolls EVER!!!
Before I go into the recipe let me give you some tips at the BEGINNING (incase you are like me and don’t read things all the way through.)
1. Use FRESH unopened All-purpose flour.
2. Yeast- DO NOT USE QUICK RISE or HIGHLY ACTIVE
3. Pull out your eggs to get to room temperature early in the day
Instructions for BB’s Yeast Rolls
1. In separate bowl mix for about 10 seconds
- 2 cups luke warm water
- 2 packages of yeast (Regular Active Yeast)
2. In a BIG BOWL
- 6 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoon salt
3. Make a well in your flour with your hands and pour in
- 4 Tablespoons of melted butter
- 2 eggs beaten room temperature
4. Pour in the well your yeast mixture and stir until everything wet. DO NOT OVER STIR
5. On a lightly floured surface kneed maybe 2-3 times so it forms a ball and pat out 1/2” thick
6. With the top of a glass (approximately 2.5-3” diameter) or with a circle cookie cutter cut out your rolls
7. Melt another 1/4 cup of butter. Take a roll dip half in melted butter, pull gently and fold in half place on a stone or lightly greased baking sheet. Continue doing this for all your dough.
Pictured below are the rolls cut out on the baking sheet ready to rise.
8. Place in a draft free warm place and let them rise to about 2 times their original size. Once they have rised they are ready to cook.
Preheat oven for 400 degrees and bake for 8-10 mins. Take out, break apart and place in a roll basket.
I have to share with you my bread basket liner. This is my homemade basket liner made by my daughter!! I am so proud!!
I PROMISE, this will be the hit of all your family feasts. It is in ours and the bonus to great rolls at night is even better rolls in the morning with Jelly!!!
I hope you enjoy and if you make them please let me know how they turned out. I have to give a special thanks to my mom for teaching me how to make these rolls so I can share with my family!!!