Back in the day when I would spend my summers at my grandparents’ home I would help my grandmas hang sheets out on the clothes line. She would say “there is nothing like sheets dried in the sunshine” Back then teenager me (the one who thought she knew everything at the ripe old age of 13) would think “HELLO, there is a drier right next to your washer. Why go through the trouble???” Well, now that I pay my own electric bills, I see the necessity of hang drying your clothes. Not to mention, clothes last longer too not going through the drier. Goes to show Grandma is always right!!
When we would hang dry her clothes she had a nifty little container that she made to hold her clothes pins. It was really a great design but if you are not an average seamstress the directions could be a little cumbersome. I could make a brand new clothespin bag but what is the fun in that?? I love the challenge of making something beautiful and functional out of stuff I already have.
Supplies: Old Cotton t-shirt, wire hanger
1. Cut your t-shirt like so… This is pretty much the bust of the shirt. (save your t-shirt scraps you never know when you can use them again)
2. Turn inside out and stitch around all 3 sides.
3. Turn the t-shirt right side out and put your hanger on top to gage where the bend should be
4. Bend your hanger like so.
6. Insert hanger in shirt and you have a clothespin bag. BUT, if you want to embellish it (because I know you do) you continue…
7. Add some rosettes to the neck hole to cover up any stains (genitin violet is some nasty stuff) Now that looks better.
8. Then to make sure the purpose of this shirt was clear I took my Silhouette and some freezer paper and made a stencil. When using freezer paper be sure to reverse your image so it cuts on the shiny side. (Remember shinny side up) and you will get a perfect stencil every time.
9. Iron on your freezer paper and paint the stencil.
10. Add a ribbon if you so please and fill with clothespins.
There you have it. A cheap beautiful upcycled clothespins bag. Save some electricity and hang your clothes!!
I am sharing this at these wonderful parties. Have a beautiful day!